Oven Roasted Tomato - Recipe
Our friend, Janis, got me going on this oven roasted tomato recipe a bunch of years ago and I just love making this for dinner. It's also a great way to use up your less than perfect tomatoes. Just cut them up and bake them up and they will still be delicious served over pasta or as a side dish.
8-10 large tomatoes
¼ cup olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper
Optional extras: diced onions, garlic and peppers.
Variation:- Make it as a side dish, with cherry or grape tomatoes and leave them whole.
- Cut tomatoes in half along the equator (or lengthwise for Roma types) and place them in a large Pyrex pan or similar. Green belly-buttons removed.
- Salt and pepper them
- Sprinkle generously with olive oil
- Flip them over and back to thoroughly coat them in the olive oil and salt and pepper and finish with the tomatoes cut side up.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 275F
- Flip and bake a further 1 1/2 hours
Serve hot over pasta with fresh basil and parmesan cheese or cool and store in ziplock bags in the freezer for winter meals.
Sign up here and never miss an article Our Monthly Newsletter